Sunday, May 18, 2014

Chicken Cabbage Soup



Chicken Cabbage Soup is perfect for a cold day! It will warm you up from the inside out and fills the house with the coziest smells. It can be topped with your favourite Mexican toppings for a completely different experience, such as avocado, sour cream, corn chips, and salsa, or enjoyed on its own!

The weekend has been cold and rainy. However, I am not too upset about it because I have caught a bad virus and do not have the energy to do much besides lay around. To help with the rainy day blues, and to fight this virus, I made some chicken cabbage soup! The smells are wonderful and make me feel warm and fuzzy, and it is a great comfort food for those blue days.

While feeling under the weather it can be difficult to eat healthy, or eat at all. I have found it easiest to fill the body with comfort foods and smoothies for some substance. I have not been overly hungry so I have been focusing on eating small meals so my body has some fuel. Once this virus is gone I will get back to eating regular meals and snacks. 

Chicken Cabbage Soup

12oz Chicken Breast Cooked
1 Can Low Sodium Diced Tomatoes
1 Carton Low Sodium Chicken Broth (4 Cups)
1/4 Cup Chopped Onion
1/2 Cup Snow Peas
1/2 Cup Carrots
1/2 Cup Broccoli
2 Cloves Garlic
2 Cups Cabbage
Fresh Dill, Fresh Parsley, Cayenne Pepper, Chilli Powder, and Black Pepper

In a pot saute onions and garlic until clear, add chicken, broth, and the fresh dill and parsley. Bring to a boil.
In a separate pan fry cabbage with 1tsp oil (I used coconut oil) and the cayenne and chilli powder until light brown.
Add tomatoes and remaining vegetables to the soup pot. Once boiling again add cabbage and let simmer for 30 minutes.

This makes 10 cups of soup and is very low in weight watchers point values.

I topped my soup with a quarter of an avocado and some corn chips. It would also be delicious with grated cheese and a tablespoon of sour cream, but I am still avoiding dairy.

Happy Sunday!
k.


No comments:

Post a Comment