Monday, June 30, 2014

Healthy Gluten Free Camping Tips


I went camping this weekend with a group of great friends. It was awesome to get away, relax, and enjoy some fresh air! Everything worked out and we managed to get two sites that filled our needs. One had a great view, while the other was sheltered from the wind. My only exercise this weekend was the trek to the bathroom, but it was quite the trek! Summer as a student separates you from your friends. Everyone is busy, and after seeing someone everyday you may not see them for weeks or months. It was great to see everyone and enjoy some time together before life takes everyone their own way again. The hardest part about camping was packing healthy and gluten free food when the typical camping food is hot dogs with buns, and s'mores. The first step was deciding that it was not a weekend to eat junk. I knew that I would regret it later. After that it was easy to plan what to take.

Camping Food List
1. Fruits and vegetables - I bought the pre made veggie and fruit trays at the grocery store. This saved a lot of prep time and cut down on the waste. I took the veggies out of the tray and put them into a ziplock bag to save room in my cooler. I bought the fruit trays that were small so they would fit into the cooler as is. Fruit can be tricky because it tends to go mushy if left out to long, and spoils quickly. I selected the fruit trays with melon, pineapple, and strawberry. They lasted longer in my cooler and were fresh for the whole weekend. For a side with meals I bought the salads in a bag that come with all the topping in a separate bag. I separated the lettuce into two separate ziplock backs so there were no leftovers. Then to make the salad I just had to add the desired amount of toppings, shake, and serve.

2. Meals - For lunch and supper I took gluten free smokies and burgers, minus the bun. They were easy to make over a fire and would be eaten on a plate. After getting them home from the store I froze them so they would last longer, and doubled as a ice pack for the cooler. For breakfast I pre measured gluten free chex cereal into sandwich bags. I took almond milk because it doesn't have to be kept cold until opened, and the small cartons take up a minimal amount of space.

3. Beverages - To stay hydrated I took a full water bottle, as well as a four litre bottle of water. There was also water available at the site. Beer and juice is a staple of mine in the summer. I took New Grist Gluten Free beer and Clamato juice. I also took gatorade to replace any electrolytes lost in the sun (however, we unfortunately did not have the hot weather we were hoping for).

4. Snacks - I did not pack a lot of snacks because fruits and vegetables are one of my main snacks. I did take strawberry marshmallows to roast on the fire, and some cripsy minis. I also packed coffee creamer for my coffer, as well as some vegetable dip to change things up. I took some gluten free pepperoni sticks as well, I don't buy stuff like this often and they were a great treat!

Overall, the camping trip was a success. I feel that I ate healthy and managed to refrain from devouring any gluten in the form of a sticky, gooey, delicious s'more. Next time I would probably take egg whites for breakfasts, as well as some steaks or kabobs instead of a large number of smokies.

I am now heading back the Okanagan for a few weeks before heading back to Saskatchewan! I hope everyone has a great Canada Day tomorrow!
Safe Travels.
k.

No comments:

Post a Comment