Sunday, October 5, 2014

Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Donuts

Getting Lost in A Corn Maze
These gluten free mini donuts have the texture of a cake donut and are perfectly spiced for the holiday season! They are quick to make and even quicker to eat!

October is finally here! Summer may be over, but fall is in full swing. This means apple ciders, pumpkin spice lattes, searching the pumpkin patch for the best jack-o-lantern, corn mazes, cozy scarves, jumping in leaves, and a Thanksgiving feast. October starts with a bang, and ends with a great Halloween bash. It is my favourite month for so many reasons. It is a time to reflect on the past summer months, and start planning how to reach the goals that have been put on hold. It is a time to remember that the small daily successes are just as important as the bigger ones. Every time I see the leaves change colour, or the fog roll out of the valley, I am reminded of the beauty of life and I am inspired to live life to its fullest.


The newest craze is pumpkin spice everything! Thanks to Starbucks and their pumpkin spice latte, pumpkin spice is appearing everywhere - and it is a bandwagon I am jumping onto. I love pumpkin pie, pumpkin spice, and everything pumpkin! Todays baking was inspired by a bottle of  the Blackberry Patch Pumpkin Spice Syrup I found at Winners! It has great flavour, and is a wonderful change from the usual maple syrup. I want to put it in, and on everything possible this season!

Thanksgiving is coming up very quickly, and I thought mini donuts would be a great change from the traditional pumpkin pie! I love donuts, my Grandma used to make the best fried donuts that were perfect when warmed up and covered in endless amounts of powdered sugar. Sadly, since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease, my days of Grandmas donuts are long gone. Lately I have been craving donuts, and every moment spent in the Tim Hortons line at school makes it a little worse. I decided to try making gluten free donuts. Since I always take a task head on I decided to start BIG and make gluten free pumpkin donuts with a chocolate pumpkin spice glaze, and a pumpkin spice honey glaze. These mini donuts are the perfect alternative for people want a change from tradition, they also make a great breakfast, or snack. The batter can be used to make waffles and pancakes as well.


Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Donuts

1 Cup Pumpkin Puree
2 Eggs
1 ½ Cup All Purpose Gluten Free Flour
¼ Cup Coconut Flour
1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
2 Tsp Pumpkin Spice
1 Tsp Xantham Gum
2 Tsp Baking Powder
½ Cup Brown Sugar
½ Cup Almond Milk

- Combine Pumpkin Puree, Eggs, Coconut Oil, and Almond Milk until smooth. 
- In another bowl combine all dry ingredients.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into mixer, and mix until smooth.
- Pipe into donut moulds so they are full. The donuts do not rise very much.
- I used a Donut Maker and let them bake for 3 Minutes. If you do not have a donut maker bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 Minutes.
-Place on wire racks to let cool. Once cooled, trim excess dough off the sides and glaze with your choice of glaze. I used Maple Glaze, and a Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Glaze.
                    Makes 18 Mini Donuts


Maple Glaze

1/8 Cup Icing Sugar
1 Tbsp Pumpkin Spice Syrup
1 Tbsp Honey
1 Tbsp Almond Milk

-Combine all ingredients together until smooth and fully dip donuts. Place on wire racks to allow excess to drip off.


Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Glaze

1 Tbsp Margarine
1/3 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

2 Tbsp Pumpkin Spice Syrup

- melt margarine in a sauce pan and add chocolate chips, stirring constantly until melted. Add syrup and stir until mixed. Dip donuts in on one side, and place on wire racks to cool. 




Thanksgiving offers a time to catch up with family and friends, and enjoy each others company. It is a time to give thanks for all of life's blessings. Thanksgiving is a reminder that nothing in life should be taken for granted.  This year I have so much to the thankful for and am so grateful for everyone in my life. I hope the next weeks bring everyone health and happiness. I hope those goals are within reach, and that life's possibilities are at your fingertips. 

K.

No comments:

Post a Comment